Friday 31 October 2014

Scream Screen: Five Scary Movies to Watch This Halloween!

I don't know about you, but I love to watch scary movies. And what better time than to bring on the scares than Halloween.

Here are five scary movies that you just might feel like watching tonight!


 The One to Watch When You Are Home Alone


The Strangers (2008)

Lock the Door. Pretend You're Safe.

If you haven't seen The Strangers, I recommend you check it out. It's one of my favourite modern-day horror movies in that it actually scared me, and that's I guess because it's old school horror. Playing on the 'home invasion' fears that we all have, The Strangers is not so heavy on the gore, but it heaps on the psychological torment - and the scares.  Eeek!  Just wait until you meet Dollface & Co.  A lot of people seem to not like this movie - but I loved it.


The 'New' Classic


The Babadook (2014)

You Can't Get Rid of The Babadook.

I haven't seen The Babadook yet, but as you can see from the poster above, those in the know are saying some pretty spectacular things about this one. Also, The Babadook contains a lot of the horror ingredients that I love: it's low budget, focuses on psychological terror and it stars a creepy little boy. I don't know if the little boy is creepy per se - it's just that kids in horror films always tend to freak me right out. Also, The Babadook is Aussie horror - and just like their Soaps - Aussie's tend to do horror right. Two words: Wolf Creek.



The Babadook Official Trailer - watch it if you dare!


The 'Actual' Classic


The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974)

Once You Stop Screaming, Then You'll Start Talking About It.

I love classic horror (Rosemary's Baby, The Shining, The Exorcist...) they all have a place in my heart, but if you haven't seen The Texas Chain Saw Massacre and you want to watch something truly disturbing this Halloween, then this is it. It doesn't get much freakier than Leatherface and family! Fun fact: I watched The Texas Chain Saw Massacre for the first time when I was seventeen and home all alone. So, yeah, that was fun. FYI: I'm talking about the Tobe Hooper movie here, not the Jessica Biel movie. Although, you know what, I watched the remake too and it wasn't totally terrible. Also, Mike Vogel is always cute.


The One to Watch if You Love 'YA'


Ouija (2014)

Keep Telling Yourself It's Just A Game.

If you mess around with an Ouija Board, then you're gonna get...haunted - horror 101 - but I guess these kids didn't get the memo. Anyway, while Ouija doesn't have so many great ratings (a 4.4 average on IMDB at the time of writing) I think it looks like fun - and it's probably not too scary either. It's sometimes good, you know, to watch a little bit of light-hearted horror that doesn't give you nightmares for years and years afterwards.  So, I haven't seen Ouija, but a YA horror I LOVE is The Craft, although I view that less as horror, more coming-of-age drama. I'm not really sure what that says about me, but there you have it. Welcome to the witching hour, indeed.



Ouija Official Trailer - looks like fun, right? Right?!


The Indie Flick You Might Have Missed


The Pact (2012)

Some Doors Should Never Be Opened.

 I like checking out indie horror, in particular, because you never know when you might find that hidden gem with all the scares, right? So, I watch a lot of horror, and I guess it's safe to say that I've seen a lot of dud's in my time. The Pact isn't a dud, though - it's been a couple years since I've seen it now, and while it's not perfect, this one is definitely worth checking out if you want something a little different for your Halloween viewing: it's got a freaky girl (above), a pretty good mystery, some great jumpy bits and a wicked (fairly disturbing) reveal. Enjoy!


So, what are you watching this Halloween?

Tell me your horror movie recommendations in comments!


1 comment :

  1. thanks very much....really enjoyed reading Tempus because fairy tales and supernatural are my thing

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it!

If you are a book blogger and have taken the time to comment, I will make sure to come visit your blog and return the favour. :)

Please note: This blog is now an award free zone. Thanks to everyone who has awarded the blog in the past.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts with Thumbnails View My Stats