Monday 30 December 2019

My Top Five Reads of 2019!


Another year is almost at and end - and you know what that means, right?

That's right - it's time for me to round up my favourite reads of the past twelve months.

2019 was a pretty good year reading-wise and, even though I fell two books short of completing my Goodreads reading challenge, (reading distractions included THIS PODCAST) I did read a bunch of great books this year - including a whole host of twisty thrillers and a bunch of YA contemps.

Here's what made the cut.

Let me know if we share any 2019 favourites!

*****





Meticulously researched and compellingly told, Juno Dawson's Meat Market takes a deep dive into the dark underbelly of the starry supermodel scene, via up-and-coming model Jana Novak, as she navigates a whole new and unusual world of model agents, catwalks and go-sees. As someone who has always been fascinated with the behind-the-scenes of the fashion industry, I loved this so much I couldn't get enough so much so that I devoured it all at once. Meat Market is my book of the year for 2019!


Read my review of CLEAN by Juno Dawson


WONDERLAND by Juno Dawson releases May 2020


*****






When I first started this blog I was YA all the way. Nowadays, while I still read YA, though less of the vampires more of the YA contemporary romance, a good thriller is my main book of choice more often than not. To that effect, I've read the good, the bad, and the downright ugly of mysteries and thrillers. One author who never disappoints or fails to surprise is Peter Swanson. His 2019 offering Before She Knew Him is a real treat with a twist I truly did not see coming!


Read my review of THE KIND WORTH KILLING by Peter Swanson


EIGHT PERFECT MURDERS by Peter Swanson releases March 2020


*****




Despite adding several of Ruth Ware's books to my TBR over the years 'The Turn of the Key' is the first book of Ware's that I've actually read. All I can say is: why did I wait so long? Creepy and atmospheric, The Turn of the Key is a chilling mystery filled with a number of great Gothic tropes: a creepy isolated house, a treacherous poison garden, creepy kids, and things that go bump in the night. There's even a smidge of romance. But this book is not about happy endings. Oh no. I loved this mystery and will definitely be reading more by Ruth Ware in the future.


*****





From Old Hollywood to 1970's Rock Gods Taylor Jenkins Reid can do no wrong. Am I right? This follow up to the unforgettable Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo, told in oral history format, takes the reader behind the music with rock superstars Daisy Jones and the Six. While I didn't *love* the oral history format of this book - I feel like this would have been higher on my list if a traditional narrative had been employed - I love the subject matter so much that it had to make my list. And Daisy Jones is pretty special. I can't wait to watch Riley Keough bring her to life when the series based on the book hits Amazon prime. Also exited for the new TJR novel MALIBU BURNING, news of which I stumbled up while researching this piece. And by research, I mean I Googled Taylor Jenkins Reid.


Read my review of THE SEVEN HUSBANDS OF EVELYN HUGO by Taylor Jenkins Reid



*****





What are your ingredients for a perfect summer? For me it's great weather, good times, lots of beach days and, of course, a new Sarah Dessen novel to read. This sweet lakeside coming-of-age tale is classic feelgood Dessen. Guaranteed to make you feel better about life and leave you with a smile on your face.


Read my review of  THE TRUTH ABOUT FOREVER by Sarah Dessen


*****


So there you have my top five reads of 2019. Did any of my faves make your list?

Now for the bonus round....



AN HONOURABLE MENTION GOES TO...




I read a bunch of thrillers this year and simply couldn't include them all on my list. With two thrillers already in my Top Five I felt I needed to mix things up a bit. Nevertheless, I want to give Rewind by Catherine Ryan Howard a special mention: a fast-paced, brilliantly-plotted page turner with a clever premise that will make you think twice about staying in a hotel or a cosy cottage retreat ever again. *Shudder* This is creepy stuff!


Read my review of DISTRESS SIGNALS by Catherine Ryan Howard


*****



THE BACKLIST READ THAT GAVE ME ALL THE FEELS...




All the stars. SWOON. I've had this book on my shelf for six years. SIX YEARS. Which goes to show how insanely out of control my TBR pile is.  I can't believe it took me so long to read My Life Next Door (especially since I had heard all good things). I loved this one. Swoony Swoon. The Boy Most Likely To (a companion novel to My Life Next Door) is currently on my bedside table waiting for me to dive in. Hopefully it doesn't take me another six years to get around to reading that one!


*****


THE MUCH-HYPED READ I WANTED TO LOVE BUT DIDN'T...




I guess there's always one. Actually, two much-hyped reads missed the mark for me this year. I also failed to feel the love for Lisa Taddeo's much-lauded THREE WOMEN.  With regards to THE SILENT PATIENT, which I rated two-star 'just OK' read on Goodreads, I'm very much in the minority. Almost everyone I know loved this book (it even won a Goodreads award for Best Mystery & Thriller!). Alas, from the writing, to the characters, to the plot twists, which I figured out very early on (it all went downhill from there), this one just didn't work for me.

*****


No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it!

If you are a book blogger and have taken the time to comment, I will make sure to come visit your blog and return the favour. :)

Please note: This blog is now an award free zone. Thanks to everyone who has awarded the blog in the past.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts with Thumbnails View My Stats