Thursday 1 January 2015

Arianne's Fifteen Must-Reads for 2015!



2015 looks like it’s going to be an amazing year for books, and particularly in YA. There are just so many great reads to look forward to!

1. The Heart of Betrayal by Mary E. Pearson: The Kiss of Deception was my favourite book of 2014, so it’s no surprise that The Heart of Betrayal is at the very top of my 2015 wishlist. Thrilling, evocative and stunningly well-written, this is a series you should all be reading.

2. The Boy Most Likely To by Huntley Fitzpatrick: the long-awaited follow-up to the phenomenal My Life Next Door, this book should probably be renamed The Book Most Likely to Make Me Fangirl Over An Entire Fictional Family. Sprawling, hilarious and heart-warming, I love that Huntley Fitzpatrick is returning to the chaotic Garrett household. I’m so glad Alice and Tim are getting a book of their own – and maybe we’ll even get a glimpse of old favourites Samantha and Jase, too!

3. A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab:  I’ve already read 130 pages of this book thanks to early-look ARCs, and I’ve fallen absolutely head over heels for it. Complex and captivating, it’s gritty urban-historical fantasy with great characters, brilliant world-building and incredible writing. 

4. The Wanderers by Kate Ormand:  for fans of Laura Lam and George R. R. Martin, The Wanderers — about a sixteen-year-old traveling with a shapeshifter circus and a betrayal in camp that threatens the lives of them all – sounds ridiculously cool. It’s everything I never even knew I needed from UKYA!

5. The Mime Order by Samantha Shannon: originally scheduled for release in October 2014, this sequel to The Bone Season will finally be with us in January 2015 and I for one cannot wait! I really enjoyed The Bone Season, and I can’t wait to return to Paige Mahoney’s world.

6. This Is Not a Love Story by Keren David: one contemporary novel I’ll definitely be clearing my schedule for is This Is Not a Love Story. Keren David is a fantastic storyteller and a great ambassador for UKYA. Her books are utterly enthralling, and most of all, they don’t hold back.

7. The Invisible Library by Genevieve Cogman: I haven’t seen much hype for The Invisible Library, but the moment I read the description “an adventure featuring stolen books, secret agents and forbidden societies - think Doctor Who with librarian spies!” I knew I’d want to read it.






8. Truthwitch by Susan Dennard: Set in a world where three empires rule, defined by a type of magic known as witchery, Truthwitch is a breath-taking, breakneck-speed story about love, adventure, war, consequences, and above all, friendship — and I’ve wanted to read it since the moment I first heard about it.

9. A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas: I’ve heard so much praise for this book, I couldn’t resist adding it to the list. Sarah J. Maas is one of my favourite high fantasy authors and with this new series, she’s bringing her incredible talent to a slightly older audience, promising more danger, romance, magic and intrigue than ever before.

10. The Next Together by Lauren James:  there aren’t many debut authors on this list, but The Next Together is an epic love story spanning not just years but centuries, so I just had to include it. Walker Books have made an absolute coup in signing such a skilled young author, and although it doesn’t release until September next year, I’m certain this is one debut to watch. 

11. Kalahari by Jessica Khoury: there’s always one book on my most anticipated list that stands out as completely different from the others, and this year, it’s Kalahari. Part science fiction, part survival story, it’s set against a glorious African backdrop — and what’s more, Jessica Khoury’s already released the first chapters online!

12. Kissing Ted Callahan (And Other Guys) by Amy Spalding: every to-read list needs a cute, light-hearted, fun contemporary to balance out all those epic fantasy sagas! More than that, however, Kissing Ted Callahan strikes a balance between humour and sophistication, which sets it apart from other books of its genre. I’ve been asking for intelligent yet relatable romantic comedies in YA for a long time, so I’m hoping this book will do the trick.

13. Hello, Goodbye and Everything in Between by Jennifer E. Smith: I will read anything Jennifer E. Smith writes, but this book literally had me at hello. It centres around two characters named Aidan and Clare, set over a single night but exploring the entirety of their relationship, and if it lives up to expectations, it could be my favourite Jen E. Smith book since The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight.

14. Black Dove, White Raven by Elizabeth Wein: another new release from the queen of YA historical fiction? Count me in! Black Dove, White Raven has such an original premise — though I’m certain I’ll need to stock up Kleenex while reading!


15. The Almost King by Lucy Saxon: Take Back the Skies was one of the most memorable books I read in 2014, so when I heard it was the first in a six-book series, I was over the moon. Each book focuses on a different character in a vast alternate universe known as Tellus, and while I’ll miss the characters from the first book, I’m excited to see where Aleks’ tale takes us.


*****

2 comments :

  1. Katherine @ Neon Yeti Reads1 January 2015 at 15:57

    I haven't heard of too many books on this list, but it has helped me add some more 2015 releases to my TBR. I hope these are all really great :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot wait for Sarah's new book! So excited!
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings
    Enter my blog birthday giveaway!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it!

If you are a book blogger and have taken the time to comment, I will make sure to come visit your blog and return the favour. :)

Please note: This blog is now an award free zone. Thanks to everyone who has awarded the blog in the past.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts with Thumbnails View My Stats