Monday 6 October 2014

What I'm Reading in October - A.K.A My Halloween Reading List!

So, I always like to compile a list of spooky reads for Halloween. I'm not into gore, but I love a good scare. Anything that features a haunted house, a creepy kid or a scary urban legend, well, I'm all over it. Here's a list of just some of the spooky books I plan on reading this month.

What are your top picks of spooky reads for Halloween? Better yet, what is your pick for scariest book of all time?

Let me know - I'd love to read it!




Compulsion by Martina Boone || Release Date: October 28th 2014.
As soon as I laid eyes on this one, I knew I had to have it. Compulsion tells the story of Barrie Watson, a girl whose mom has recently died. So far so YA, but if you read the rest of the blurb for this one, I'm pretty sure you'll want to read Compulsion too: it's got a South Carolina setting, founding families and magical gifts, a generations-old feud, and a boy called Eight.  Eight Beaufort. Why, I do delclare,that I cannot wait to find out more about the sun-kissed Eight and the mysteries of Watson Island.

Black Ice by Becca Fitzpatrick || Release Date: October 7th 2014.
Black Ice is the new thriller from Hush, Hush author Becca Fitzpatrick; the blurb reads suitably creepy with an isolated mountain setting, lost girls, and some guys who may be knights in shining armour...or not. It all sounds like this will be a thrilling read - a despite some mixed early reviews I'm pretty excited to read it.

The Cure for Dreaming by Cat Winters || Release Date: October 14th 2014.
Cat Winters debut In the Shadow of Blackbirds was one of my Halloween reads last year and I thought it was very good indeed! I've been hearing good things about The Cure for Dreaming already and can't wait to start reading soon: hypnotists and terrible gifts and visions and a headstrong girl called Olivia Mead.

Welcome to the Dark House by Laurie Faria Stolarz || Release Date: Out Now!
Now this sounds like THE perfect Halloween read. It actually released back in July, but I couldn't read it back then; this book demands cold dark nights, and home alone, and howling winds. Oh yes, bring on the scares! I love YA horror (I grew up on Christopher Pike and R.L. Stine) and so I have been wanting to read this one for months - but I've resisted! I needed to wait until now. I'm hoping for all the scares!




Sweet Damage by Rebecca James || Release Date: Out Now!
OK, so this one was actually on my Halloween reading list last year, but I didn't get to it. I really want to read it, though, having loved Beautiful Malice by Rebecca James, so I'm making Sweet Damage a priority this year. It's got a creepy house. I'm sold!

Famous Last Words by Katie Alender || Release Date: Out Now!
So, Famous Last Words is all about a scary killer who re-enacts famous movie murder scenes - how fun! (In a scary way, of course). It also features a girl called Willa who has strange visions/may or maybe not be going crazy. Murder at the movies - sounds like a perfect Halloween read to me!

Say Her Name by James Dawson || Release Date: Out Now!
Say Her Name is one of my most anticipated read of 2014. Yes, this one released back in June but as you know by now I had to wait until the nights were dark and scary to read it. Can't wait. If you didn't know James Dawson is pretty much King of the UKYA horror genre (and Queen of Teen). I've loved both his previous books Hollow Pike and Cruel Summer and I'm sure Dawson's take on the Bloody Mary Urban Myth will be another hit for me.

The Killer Next Door by Alex Marwood || Release Date: October 28th 2014.
I haven't read Marwood's debut The Wicked Girls (yet) - but I've heard it's wicked good! This one has a great premise which  reminds me of the BBC show What Remains - anyone watch that show? It was really good, although things got a little crazy right at the end. Still, good. A book about wicked, possibly killer, neighbours. I think I'll love it.


**********


9 comments :

  1. Your list looks pretty spooky, I don't think I know anything else to add!

    That cover to Say Her Name is definitely eye-catching! I'll have to look into it!

    Have a spooktacular read!

    Amber Elise @ Du Livre

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh awesome list!! I'm starting Cure for Dreaming now and Famous Last Words and Compulsion are two I have planned for this month as well! If you haven't read The Fall by Bethany Griffin yet, I highly recommend it for a Halloween read! Perfectly twisted and spooky!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ChristinaBookAddict6 October 2014 at 12:47

    Awesome list! You know I sort of shy away from scary reads, but I have been getting better. I plan on reading Compulsion, Cure for Dreaming and Black Ice! You should be proud. ha. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the other books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know you love spooky books, but if you like scary books, try the I Hunt Killers trilogy by Barry Lyga. The last one just came out her in Canada and it is equally as good and gruesome as the previous two. I'm sure you'd love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, I'm excited to read Compulsion! I have to second Carol's recommendation of the I Hunt Killers trilogy... so creepy but so good!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard good things about that one. I'll have to add it to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm very proud of you! First The Killing and now all the spooky reads! So proud! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not such a fan of the gore and gruesome stuff! But I will definitely check these out and see if they sound like something I'd enjoy. Thanks for the rec! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I will have to check that one out! Excited to read Compulsion too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it!

If you are a book blogger and have taken the time to comment, I will make sure to come visit your blog and return the favour. :)

Please note: This blog is now an award free zone. Thanks to everyone who has awarded the blog in the past.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts with Thumbnails View My Stats