Friday 17 August 2012

UK Cover Alerts: Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan, Sister Assassin by Kiersten White & Infinite Sky by C.J. Flood.

 U.K Cover alert time!

Today I'm showcasing Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan and Sister Assassin (Mind Games in the US) by Kiersten White both of which have been given dramatically different covers to their US counterparts. Also, let me know what you think of the cover for Infinite Sky by debut author C.J. Flood.

First up: Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan.  The US cover for Unspoken is all pretty and fairytale-like, so much so that I figured the book was actually geared towards younger readers when I first saw it. That one, pretty and all as it is,  just doesn't scream YA to me, but the UK cover most definitely does!


Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan
Publisher: Simon & Schuster UK
Release date: September 2012
Ages: 12+

Kami Glass loves someone she’s never met . . . a boy she’s talked to in her head ever since she was born. She wasn’t silent about her imaginary friend during her childhood, and is thus a bit of an outsider in her sleepy English town of Sorry-in-the-Vale. Still, Kami hasn’t suffered too much from not fitting in. She has a best friend, runs the school newspaper, and is only occasionally caught talking to herself. Her life is in order, just the way she likes it, despite the voice in her head.

But all that changes when the Lynburns return.

The Lynburn family has owned the spectacular and sinister manor that overlooks Sorry-in-the-Vale for centuries. The mysterious twin sisters who abandoned their ancestral home a generation ago are back, along with their teenage sons, Jared and Ash, one of whom is eerily familiar to Kami. Kami is not one to shy away from the unknown—in fact, she’s determined to find answers for all the questions Sorry-in-the-Vale is suddenly posing. Who is responsible for the bloody deeds in the depths of the woods? What is her own mother hiding? And now that her imaginary friend has become a real boy, does she still love him? Does she hate him? Can she trust him?



US and UK Covers for Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan



Not only has Mind Games by Kiersten White been given a UK cover makeover, it's also been given a whole new title! Sister Assassin a.k.a Mind Games will be released in the UK in February 2013. What do you think of the new look?



Sister Assassin by Kiersten White
Publisher: Harper Collins Children's Books
Release date: February 2013
Ages: 12+

She never chose her deadly gift but now she’s forced to use it. How far would you go to protect the only family you have left?

Annie is beset by fleeting strange visions and a guilty conscience. Blind and orphaned, she struggles to care for her feisty younger sister Fia, but things look up when both sisters are offered a place at Kessler School for Exceptional Girls.

Born with flawless intuition, Fia immediately knows that something’s wrong, but bites her tongue… until it’s too late. For Fia is the perfect weapon to carry out criminal plans and there are those at Kessler who will do anything to ensure her co-operation.

With Annie trapped in Kessler’s sinister clutches, instincts keep Fia from killing an innocent guy and everything unravels. Is manipulative James the key to the sisters’ freedom or an even darker prison? And how can Fia atone for the blood on her hands?



US and UK covers for Mind Games/Sister Assassin by Kiersten White




Finally,  here  is the cover of Infinite Sky, the debut novel from C.J. Flood which is releasing early next year. 

As always, let me know what you think of the different covers in comments! 




Infinite Sky by C.J. Flood
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Release date: February 2013
Ages: YA

Iris Dancy's free-spirited mum has left for Tunisia, her dad's rarely sober and her brother's determined to fight anyone with a pair of fists.

When a family of travellers move into the overgrown paddock overnight, her dad looks set to finally lose it. Gypsies are parasites he says, but Iris is intrigued. As her dad plans to evict the travelling family, Iris makes friends with their teenage son. Trick Deran is a bare knuckle boxer who says he's done with fighting, but is he telling the truth?

When tools go missing from the shed, the travellers are the first suspects. Iris's brother, Sam, warns her to stay away from Trick; he's dangerous, but Iris can no longer blindly follow her brother's advice. He's got secrets of his own, and she's not he sure can be trusted himself.

INFINITE SKY is a family story about betrayal and loyalty, and love.



 ******************



* Please note: These covers may not be final and may be subject to change. Images sourced from publishers websites, Goodreads & Amazon.  

21 comments :

  1. Ooooh this is my first time seeing the UK cover for Unspoken! Me like! I can't pick a favourite though, I like both interpretations. I'm interested to see how each will reflect back on the story. 

    I think I prefer the Mind Games cover to Sister Assassin, but there's no denying SA has a badass vibe! Although the girl on the right kind of creeps me out haha. Either way, I am SO excited to read it.

    Loving the cover of Infinite Sky, so cool using the barbed wire in the font for the title and I just love how everything works. Definitely one of the more unique YA covers.

    Love the chance to catch up on international covers I might have missed, so thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I like the UK cover of Unspoken and the US cover of Kiersten White's book the best. I was all confused with Sister Assassin thinking I'd missed a book she has releasing and then I saw the Mind Games cover and everything made sense in my world again:)

    ReplyDelete
  3.  The girl on the right of Sister Assassin looks like a Vanessa Paradis/Christina Ricci hybrid to me. Do you see it? Just me?

    ReplyDelete
  4.  :) I was thinking that one might cause some confusion!  I'm with  you on your picks -UK of Unspoken and US of Mind Games, although I like the Sister Assassin title change.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah Rees Brennan17 August 2012 at 15:39

    I am so glad you like. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6.  It looks great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Though I generally don't like photographs of people as imagery for book covers, I do agree that the US version of "Unspoken" is a bit whimsical for the subject matter. The funny thing is, MOST of the YA books in the bookstores here in the US DO have those photos on them, so I find it interesting that they'd change the cover from the 'new norm' and use a illustration. It does look more like the books in the slightly younger section of children's literature. I do like them both, however, and the summary seems intriguing!

    Also, I've never really understood having different covers for different countries (unless there's a geo-political reasoning behind it) or changing the name from country to country. The UK version of "Sister Assassin" may look a little more "manga-ish" to me, but I feel like it brings in more attention than both the title and the imagery used for the US version.

    Either way, I'm excited to read all of these! I actually didn't know Sarah Rees Brennan was coming out with a new book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, "Sister Assassin" looks crazy good. 

    ReplyDelete
  9. I absolutely love the cover of Infinite Sky! It's awesome. But I do prefer the US covers of the other two; I'm not a fan of Sister Assassin's cover and while the UK cover of Unspoken is nice, I really love the US one! Thanks for sharing all of these :).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Becky @ Stories & Sweeties17 August 2012 at 23:52

      I definitely see it! First thing I thought when I saw it was, 'hey, they drew Christina Ricci!' :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Becky @ Stories & Sweeties17 August 2012 at 23:54

    I love both covers for Unspoken! So excited to read that one---love imaginary friend stories! :)   As for Sister Assassin/Mind Games---I like them both, but I'm not in love with either one. Definitely excited for the book though!

    ReplyDelete
  12.  I wonder if they did it on purpose or if it's just a total coincidence. Or maybe the character actually looks like her. I guess we'll find out when we read the book!

    ReplyDelete
  13.  Yeah, YA covers are generally 'hot couple in a clinch' or 'girl on the cover'. I like that they tried something different with Unspoken too, but I would never have thought that cover was for a YA book. However The Nightmare Affair by Mindee Arnett has a similar look so maybe it's a new trend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm excited to read it. I haven't read anything by Kiersten White before even though I've heard pretty good things about Paranormalcy. 

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really like the Infinite Sky cover too. Sister Assassin is  not my fave, but the new title is pretty cool! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Heather@The Flyleaf Review18 August 2012 at 20:49

    Oh no, it's a first! I definitely prefer BOTH the US covers of Unspoken and Mind Games/ Sister Assassin!  I like the graphic quality of the US Unspoken cover, but I like the more painterly quality of the US Mind Games cover. 

    And I'm so excited for Infinite Sky. There is something about gypsies that has always intrigued me!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can't decide which cover I like best for Unspoken. I like the UK cover better for Mind Games/Sister Assassin and the one for Infinite Sky is beautiful.  I love these posts as I am such a sucker for a pretty cover. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, the covers look AMAZING, Leanne!  While I've seen Unspoken's US cover, I haven't seen the UK cover of Unspoken before! I must say, I like them both since they're quite different from each other! I've only read Team Human which is a collaboration of Sarah and Justine Larbalestier but I can't wit o read Unspoken!

    And Sister's Assassin! I would never have thought this book was Mind Games in the US since it has a different cover and title! Although, the UK cover looks kick-ass and sort of creepy :P I think I prefer the US cover but the UK cover is not bad too ;)

    I definitely have not seen Infinite Sky's cover nor have I heard of it but I like the birds flying on the cover and like Brodie said, the barbed wires look cool too! :)

    Thank you for sharing all the AWESOME covers above with us, Leanne! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  19. love the uk covers. my fav is  
    Infinite sky 

    ReplyDelete
  20. I like the US Unspoken cover, the UK Sister Assassin cover (name change cool!) and the Infinite Sky cover is really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I don't like the UK cover for Unspoken :/ The colouring just doesn't look right, and the whole thing looks like a bad paranormal romance :/ The US cover is much nicer! And it matches the book with the magical feel to it! 

    Not a huge fan of the Mind Games UK cover either. It looks plain and boring. The title too! The US cover is so much more unique and eye-catching! The books sounds super awesome :) 

    Unlike the other two UK covers, the one for Infinite Sky is GORGEOUS! The blue is so pretty and I love the barbed wire title! <3

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it!

If you are a book blogger and have taken the time to comment, I will make sure to come visit your blog and return the favour. :)

Please note: This blog is now an award free zone. Thanks to everyone who has awarded the blog in the past.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts with Thumbnails View My Stats