Thursday 16 June 2011

Summer Spotlight Guest Post: Alexa from Not Enough Bookshelves picks her Top Five Summer Reads!

Ah Summer! Whether you are lying on a beach, sipping a ice cold drink with an umbrella in it; or curled on the sofa with a cup of tea wondering why the British summer is always so wet! I have some great YA summer reads for you.




Imaginary Girls by Nova Ren Suma ~ reading this is like floating down river in a boat, the sun on your face, a gentle breeze playing over you and only the vaguest idea what your destination is going to be. But this book is all about the journey.

Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen ~ Sarah Dessen is the queen of summer reads and this is one of my favourites. It takes place at the beach and there are parties, midnight trips, bike riding, a screaming baby and a very sweet romance.

Scrambled Eggs at Midnight by Brad Barkley and Heather Hepler ~ I adore this book told in the alternating POV by Elliot and Callie as they fall in love over the summer. I also love the setting, a camp for overweight children whose motto is What would Jesus eat?




Stealing Heaven by Elizabeth Scott at her best. A cop and a thief fall for each other during the course of a summer in the small town of Heaven. It's both adorable and achingly sad.

A Little Wanting Song by Cath Crowley ~ It's Christmas in this book, but as it's set in Australia it's also summer, so it qualifies. Told from both Charlie and Rose's points of view this is such a beautiful book, it had me absolutely hooked from page one.


Thanks so much for having me Leanna and if anyone has any great summer reads to recommend I'd love to hear about them!


******************* 


Thanks so much Alexa for the great guest post! I love the sound of all of these books and will definitely be adding them to my wish list!  I haven't yet read anything by Sarah Dessen or Elizabeth Scott (terrible, I know), but I've wanted to check out those authors for a while now, and I think I'll start with the books you picked! They both sound fab!

If you'd like to read more from Alexa, you should stop by her most excellent blog Not Enough Bookshelves where you can read her fab reviews and also check out photos (including an Anna and the French Kiss moment!) from her recent trip to Paris!

If you'd like to write a Summer Spotlight guest post just drop me an email at daisychainbookreviews(at)gmail(dot)com 




15 comments :

  1. I have yet to read anything by Sarah Dessen as well. I know... I'm a little late on the bandwagon! But I've been meaning to read one of her books for awhile now since everyone seems to rave about them. (I thought I was the only one who hadn't read any of her books!) So I'm definitely adding Along For The Ride to my tbr list. I haven't heard of A Little Wanting Song but it sounds like it's really good so there's another book on my tbr list lol. And I LOVE the cover of Imaginary Girls. Great post! ;)

    ~Loren

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these kind of posts. They always give me a reason to add more books to the list. :) Along for the Ride sounds perfect for Summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, lots of good choices! I have Imaginary Girls up next. And I love Elizabeth Scott. Thanks for the great recommendations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These all sound so fantastic--especially SCRAMBLED EGGS AT MIDNIGHT. I'm loving IMAGINARY GIRLS, and I can't wait to get to the rest of these books. Thanks for the recommendations, Alexa!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great picks. I do love me some Sarah Dessen. She seems to be a perfect choice for summer reads.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well now I have a summer reading list; all I need now is some actual sun!

    *Looks up at dreary Welsh sky*

    *Sighs*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Scrambled Eggs at Midnight & A Little Wanting Song I both have heard are great, but I haven't read them yet! One of this days I will have to read them.

    And of course I agree with you on Elizabeth Scott and Sarah Dessen!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Along For the Ride is one of my favorite books by Dessen. She is a MUST for the summertime. I also really enjoyed Stealing Heaven and am a fan of Elizabeth Scott. Imaginary Girls and Scrambled Eggs at Midnight sound pretty good. I'll have to check them out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't read any of them! :O
    Great picks though. A Little Wanting Song looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. ~Waves to Alexa~ Love your picks especially A Little Wanting Song. That would have to be one of my all time favourites :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love to read all these, can you provide the beach for me?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Imaginary Girls is on my list too. I hope to get that soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Leanna and thanks everyone for the nice comments. I hope you enjoy your summer and your summer reads :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that Imaginary Girls cover so much. Nice picks on the others ones, too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh i love alexa xx

    and i am crazy in love with STEALING HEAVEN plus v v excited to see A LITTLE WANTING SONG on here!

    x Nomes

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it!

If you are a book blogger and have taken the time to comment, I will make sure to come visit your blog and return the favour. :)

Please note: This blog is now an award free zone. Thanks to everyone who has awarded the blog in the past.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts with Thumbnails View My Stats