Sunday 5 December 2010

In My Mailbox #25 - New Books This Week!

In my Mailbox is a weekly meme hosted by Kristi at The Story Siren in which bloggers share the books they have received each week.

Click on links for Goodreads/Amazon descriptions.


I've been very good this past while, and haven't bought any books. I feel a book splurge coming on soon, though!


For Review:

I've wanted to read this one for a while.  I know there was some controversy surrounding the book when it was released, but I think it sounds interesting and I've read some good reviews. 





Everyone knows about Anne Frank, and her life hidden in the secret annexe - or do they? Peter van Pels and his family are locked away in there with the Franks, and Peter sees it all differently. He's a boy, and for a boy it's just not the same. What is it like to be forced into hiding with Anne Frank, to hate her and then find yourself falling in love with her? To know you're being written about in her diary, day after day? What's it like to sit and wait and watch whilst others die, and you wish you were fighting? How can Anne and Peter try to make sense of one of the most devastating episodes in recent history n the holocaust? Anne's diary ends on August 4, 1944, but Peter's story takes us on, beyond their betrayal and into the Nazi death camps. He details with accuracy, clarity and compassion, the reality of day to day survival in Auschwitz - and the terrible conclusion. It's a story rooted firmly in history and it asks a question of us all: Are we listening? 'Is anybody there'? Peter cries from the depths of his despair in the camps. Read it, and you will be.




 The Forest of Adventures (Knight Trilogy #1) by Katie M. John.
 This book is completely new to me. It's a debut by a UK author. I  hadn't heard of it before, but I really like the sound of it.  

Being Billy by Phil Earle 
This is a UK debut for 2011.  It sounds like a pretty powerful story. I haven't read any reviews of this one yet.

Forge (Seeds of American #2) by Laurie Halse Anderson
This is the sequel to Chains - I haven't read this one, but I'm a fan of historical fiction. Is this a series worth checking out?



Share your IMM links in comments. :)



Thanks to Andersen Press, Bloomsbury, Penguin Books & Little Bird Publishing for review copies.

23 comments :

  1. Great books ;) Really looking forward to Forge! Happy reading x

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've got some wonderful books this week Leanna! I've been wanting to read Annexed despite the controversy over it and I'm looking forward to finding out what you think of it. You're very lucky to have Forge, I loved Chains so I can't wait to read it! I love the cover of it too.

    I hope you enjoy them all :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Forest of Adventures looks interesting! Love the cover. The synopsis on GoodReads was a little vague... I LOVE Sharon Dogar, Falling is amazing. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your nice comment on my blog, I really appreciate it.
    I love the look and sound of The Forest of Adventures, I'll definitely check it out!

    Happy Reading
    //Q N

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great books. I like the sound of The Forest of Adventures.
    Happy Reading!
    In My Mailbox

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing your IMM.

    I've read/reviewed The Forest of Adventures and Katie M John, the author, has also been interviewed and is doing a giveaway also.

    I'll keep an eye out for your review, it's great to read what other folk think of a book you've read :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Waouhhhh !! I have to thank you because I've added some books to my To Buy List ;)
    Happy reading !!
    Here's my IMM : onceuponaquote.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lots of good books this week! I loved Annexed and hope you do too.I am looking forward to your thoughts on The Forest of Adventures. It seems interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh! Those all look like really good books! Thanks for stopping by! enjoy, and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great books this week! I really liked Annexed- it was powerful. I definitely plan on referring to it during my Anne Frank unit. I also can't wait to read Forge- I loved Chains! Enjoy all your books.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read and reviewed Annexed, really enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Annexed & The Forest of Adventures look good! Hope you have a good week of reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great cover for Annexed...My cover was very different, but also good. I like this one, too, though. Thanks for sharing. I hope you enjoy Annexed as much as I did!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh that's a new cover for Annexed, I haven't seen it before. I really want to read that one as well, it sounds very intense and emotionally trying. Can't wait to see what you think of it Leanna!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've heard rave reviews about Annexed, but I hadn't heard about the controversy. Now I'm going to have to look that up. :)

    I like that cover for Forge much better than the other one I've seen (US edition maybe).

    You're the second person to post about The Forest of Adventures. My interest is now officially piqued.

    My IMM

    ReplyDelete
  16. i read annexed, it is INTENSE!! so be prepared. enjoy your books!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Annexed sounds very interesting. I will look forward to seeing what you think of it. Enjoy your books, they all look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I haven't heard of any of these titles, but I'm definitely going to go check out a few. Great week!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Annexed sounds like a really intriguing premise! I'm intrigued! I hope you enjoy =)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Had not heard of "Annexed" before but definitely off to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Interesting books! I really need to read more by Laurie Halse Anderson. Hope you enjoy them & have a great week :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it!

If you are a book blogger and have taken the time to comment, I will make sure to come visit your blog and return the favour. :)

Please note: This blog is now an award free zone. Thanks to everyone who has awarded the blog in the past.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts with Thumbnails View My Stats