Tuesday 14 December 2010

Delightful Debutantes #4: Alexandra Monir & Timeless.

Timeless by Alexandra Monir is definitely top of my 2011 wish list. I've been waiting on this one for ages. I was first captivated by the truly stunning cover, and then by the amazing storyline. This is definitely one to watch in 2011. Read on to find out more about Alexandra and her delightful debut!




Timeless sounds like a wonderful tale of love, loss and time-travel. Where did you get the inspiration to write the story?

I've always been fascinated with history, and I grew up daydreaming about going back in time, so writing about time-travel was a bit of wish fulfillment for me! The love story came to me when I one day suddenly found myself questioning the idea that everyone has a soulmate in their own lifetime. What if someone's true soulmate actually exists in another time - like in the past? This thought inspired me to write about a modern girl falling in love with a boy from the previous century.

Being a soon to be published author must be very exciting! Can you tell me about your path to publication?

I actually started my career as a singer/songwriter. When I moved to LA in my late teens to pursue music full-time, I decided I also wanted to try writing for film and TV, since I'd been writing stories since childhood and had always been passionate about storytelling. I started pitching my ideas and had a handful of film/TV projects that almost got off the ground, which led to me getting signed by the agency William Morris Endeavor. So when I came up with the idea for Timeless, my primary agent at the time arranged for me to meet with the book department in New York. My book agent championed my idea and encouraged me to write a proposal, and the first person she sent the proposal to said yes! That person is my amazing editor, Stephanie Elliott at Random House, and now we're a month away from publication! It's wild.

How did you celebrate when you heard Timeless was going to be published?

It's a dream come true! It was a couple years ago when I found out the project had sold, and I just remember calling my parents after the big meeting at Random House, and I was just overwhelmed with emotion and excitement. I then had an impromptu little celebration in Soho, doing a bit of shopping and having my favorite NYC pizza at Lombardi's. Nothing too crazy! But there have been celebrations along the way, like when I turned in my first draft, final draft, etc.




 What prompted you to start writing? Are there any particular authors or books you’ve read that inspired you to write?


I've been an obsessive reader since I first learned how to read, so my love of books is definitely what inspired me to write. I grew up spending my summers in Paris since that's where my mom's family lives, and I remember she would have to pack an extra suitcase just for all the books we had to bring for me! I loved everything from the classics like Little Women to tween series like The Baby-Sitter's Club, but the childhood books that most inspired my writing were Frances Hodgson Burnett's The Secret Garden and A Little Princess. As I grew into my teens and early 20s, the Harry Potter series made me fall in love with reading all over again, especially the fantasy genre.

Can you name another book that you think readers of your book might enjoy?

The Fallen series by Lauren Kate is great for fans of supernatural teen romance!

Can you tell me what you are working on next? Is Timeless set to be the first in a series, or a standalone?

I am currently working on the sequel to Timeless!


Thanks to Alexandra for answering my questions - I really can't wait to read this one! Also, many, many thanks to Seth and Jami for their help in setting up this interview!


You can also: Check out the teaser trailer for Timeless!

9 comments :

  1. Wow! The author is already working on a sequel? I am really looking forward to Timeless. Thanks for the interview! It is quite intriguing to know about the story behind the book....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the author's passion in all her answers :) It's catching...and I'm so excited to read this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like such a gorgeous book. I'm adding it to my wishlist! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am desperately waiting on this book; it sounds like something that has been created for me. I love the idea of time travel. Thanks for sharing this interview! Oh, and is it me or does the girl on the cover resemble the author? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely interview, I can't wait to read this book. And I'm so glad it's going to at least have a sequel, I love knowing they'll be more once I'm done reading the first one! Love the time-travel love concept is it January yet?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the interview! This book looks SO good--I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I am so excited for this book, The cover is simply gorgeous. Really enjoyed reading the interview and had no idea that Alexandra was a singer/songwriter before she started writing books!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful interview! This is one of the books I'm looking forward to reading next year, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome interview. I'm really looking forward to reading Timeless.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it!

If you are a book blogger and have taken the time to comment, I will make sure to come visit your blog and return the favour. :)

Please note: This blog is now an award free zone. Thanks to everyone who has awarded the blog in the past.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts with Thumbnails View My Stats