Wednesday 14 April 2010

Waiting on Wednesday #4 - Beautiful Malice by Rebecca James.

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly event hosted at Breaking the Spine that spotlights eagerly awaited upcoming releases.




This weeks selection is:
Beautiful Malice - Rebecca James
Bantam
Hardcover, 272 pages
Release date: July 13th 2010.


An international sensation that The Wall Street Journal called a “publishing phenomenon,” this layered, poignant, and chilling novel of psychological suspense is the year’s most stunning American fiction debut. From its wrenching opening to its shocking climax, Beautiful Malice unfolds a haunting story in which people, motives, and circumstances are never what they seem.

Who is Katherine Patterson? It is a question she hopes no one can answer. To erase her past, Katherine has moved to a new city, enrolled in a new school, and even changed her name. She’s done the next best thing to disappearing altogether. Now, wary and alone, she seeks nothing more than anonymity. What she finds instead is the last thing she expected: a friend.

Even more unlikely, Katherine’s new friend is the most popular and magnetic girl in school. Extroverted, gorgeous, flirtatious, and unpredictable, she is everything that Katherine is not and doesn’t want to be: the center of attention. Yet Alice’s enthusiasm is infectious, her candor sometimes unsettling, and Katherine, in spite of her guarded caution, finds herself drawn into Alice’s private circle.

But Alice has secrets, too—darker than anyone can begin to imagine. And when she lets her guard down at last, Katherine discovers the darkest of them all. For there will be no escaping the past for Katherine Patterson—only a descent into a trap far more sinister . . . and infinitely more seductive.

Waiting on Wednesday is fast becoming my favourite meme. I'm finding out about so many new books through this.  Beautiful Malice is another one I'm really excited to read!  Just read the last few lines of the book description, and tell me you're not excited for this one too! I've read that this book has echoes of The Lovely Bones and Single White Female. I can't wait to read it!

I also wanted to point out the cover art - I love the Australian and U.S covers, but I am not really feeling the UK cover, which is a great pity, as unless I want to buy it on import, that's the one that's gonna end up on my bookshelf. Don't you just hate when that happens?

Share your finds and links. I love finding out about new books that I might not yet have discovered!

19 comments :

  1. Oh this sounds fantastic. Lots of intrigue and secrets. I love the Aussie cover the best of the three, but the US is cool too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds really interesting! I like the Australian cover best! Here's my Wow: http://my-book-obsession.blogspot.com/2010/04/waiting-on-wednesday-7.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, the UK one leaves much to be desired, but the book description sounds great. I too am adding so many books to my TBR pile because of WoW!

    My pick is at BookSake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one does sound promising. I like the Australian cover the best, too! Great pick this week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I loved both The Lovely Bones and Single White Female (especially the movie!), and this one does sound great. I enjoy psychological suspense.

    Here's mine:

    http://chezraine.wordpress.com/2010/04/14/waiting-on-wednesday-5/

    ReplyDelete
  6. So right! The Uk cover does nothing for the book's appeal. I like Australia's cover the best. Sounds like a great pick. Have a good week and happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This one looks really interesting, I hadn't heard of it before!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, awesome pick. Sounds really intriguing and suspenseful. My WOW is at The Crowded Leaf.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the sound of this book! All chills and thrills. Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! How can anyone not want to read this after reading that description!! It sounds amazing! I really like the AUS cover!

    My WoW pick is here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great pick! I hadn't heard of that one, so I'm glad I stopped by.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh, this sounds interesting! I also love how you included the different cover art - Australia probably has my favourite and the UK (alas) my least...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think we're nearly all in agreement - the Australian cover is definitely the best. The author is Australian, so maybe that's why?! haha! Or maybe not...

    Thanks for sharing all your links. I think I added five or six books to my ever growing wishlist today!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very intriguing! I like the Australian cover, but the US one looks more mysterious. Why is it that opposites seem to attract in book friendships, too. Why would a very popular, extroverted girl even notice someone in the shadows? Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello, uk publisher here, our cover has moved on a little from that one, but still in same ballpark. Fascinating to hear your thoughts on the design. We have a photographic cover scheduled for our second edition next January that I think will appeal to you more. Either way would love to know what you think of the book. Would be happy to offer some early copies if appropriate. Joanna

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Joanna - Rebecca has just been in touch via Twitter and is sending on the new UK cover to me. I will do an updated post. Early copies for review are always very welcome. My contact details and review policy can be found at the top of the page. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. @ Kim - Oh yes, I think the friendship here sounds very intriguing. It looks as though Alice has some deep, dark secrets that she's hiding!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This one sounds good. The Australian cover is really cool but a little creepy. Not that creepy is a bad thing ;) Sometimes I like my books to spook me a little.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Here from the Saturday Network

    This book sounds fascinating!! I think I like the Australian cover best. It's so deliciously creepy. 8D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it!

If you are a book blogger and have taken the time to comment, I will make sure to come visit your blog and return the favour. :)

Please note: This blog is now an award free zone. Thanks to everyone who has awarded the blog in the past.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts with Thumbnails View My Stats