Tuesday 6 April 2010

Tasty Tuesday #1 - Hungry Haven's Red Velvet Cupcakes.

I'm excited to take part in this new Tuesday meme that Christy from Dearest Dreams has just launched. I love to cook just as much as I love to read, so I'm happy to share some recipes which have been inspired by my latest reads. Over to Christy for a fuller explanation of Tasty Tuesday

So, for my first book inspired recipe, I decided to focus on Shadowland by Alyson Noel, thus landing myself in a bit of a pickle.  The two main characters in the book don't have to eat as they are immortal.  Um.... So, I decided instead to concentrate on Ever's best friend Haven, she of the cupcake addiction.  Every time I read on of Noel's books, I start to crave cupcakes.  I suggest that you feast on these yummy Red Velvet Cupcakes as you settle into this book.

Enjoy!

Original recipe: Magnolia Bakery red velvet cake with creamy vanilla frosting.
My tasty Tuesday adaptation: Hungry Havens red velvet cupcake.

Makes around 24 cupcakes

For the cakes:
500g plain flour
165g unsalted butter, softened
500g sugar
3 large eggs, at room temperature
6 tbsp red food colouring
3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa
1½ tsp vanilla extract
1½ tsp salt
330ml buttermilk
1½ tsp cider vinegar
1½ tsp baking soda


For the frosting:
6 tbsp plain flour
440ml milk
450g unsalted butter, softened
450g sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract


Preheat oven to 180C/gas mark 4. In a small bowl, sift the plain flour. Set aside. In a large bowl, on the medium speed of an electric mixer, cream the butter until smooth. Add the sugar gradually and beat until fluffy, about three minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.

Whisk together the red food colouring, ­unsweetened cocoa powder and vanilla. Add to the batter and beat well.

Stir the salt in with the buttermilk and add to ­the batter in three parts, ­alternating with flour. With each addition, beat until the ingredients are fully ­incorporated, but make sure you do not overbeat.

In a small bowl, stir together the cider vinegar and baking soda and add to the batter and mix well.
Divide the mixture into cases, then bake each tray of cakes for 20 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean.

Cool the cupcakes in the tins for 15 ­minutes. Remove from the tins and cool ­completely on a wire rack before mixing together the frosting ingredients and applying the icing.

• Footnote added 16 February 2010: Several readers have queried the quantity of red food colouring in the recipe above. Please note that some red colouring liquids used in the UK are banned in the US (where this recipe originates) and may not be recommended for consumption by children. Readers with a tendency to allergies might consider other options such as beetroot.

Recipe & Picture source.

5 comments :

  1. this is such a great meme idea I love red velvet cakes so I'm going to be trying this very soon yummy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, it's a totally cute idea for a meme. I hope you enjoy your cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. +JMJ+

    I'm always willing to try a new red velvet cake recipe! Thanks, Leanna! =)

    By the way, have you ever tried pouring the batter into a regular cake tin and adjusting the baking time?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sound and look fabulous!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Enbrethiliel - I've never tried that, but a supersized version of this would be good for sure!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it!

If you are a book blogger and have taken the time to comment, I will make sure to come visit your blog and return the favour. :)

Please note: This blog is now an award free zone. Thanks to everyone who has awarded the blog in the past.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts with Thumbnails View My Stats