Sunday 16 November 2014

NaNoWriMo Update: Over half-way there and falling behind!



Hi guys!

I'm checking in with a NaNoWriMo progress report! As you can see from the title of this blog post I am behind on my word count. I was so disciplined for the first week or so of NaNoWriMo -hitting those word targets every day - but I have to admit I've gotten a little bit lazy of late. I mean, last night I had time to write, but instead I watched The Vampire Diaries. That is not good! And I need to get back on track just like TVD this season after the sometime mess that was Season 5.

So, here's where I'm at:




If I was on target to finish on November 30th I'd be at 26,672 words right now, so this isn't yet a critical level of failure. I mean, I'm already doing better than last year. I can catch up. I know I can. If I write 5,000 words today, for instance, I'll be almost right back on track. But that means I won't be able to watch Scandal. Hmmmm.....You know I need my Fitz fix!

Basically I have no discipline.

You know who does have discipline, though? My NaNo writing buddies.  Cait from Notebook Sisters finished NaNoWriMo in a week. A WEEK! What?! I'm serious - you can read all about it HERE. Also, Christina from Confessions of a Book Addict is having an awesome NaNoWriMo this year. I like that Christina always has a plan. I need to have a plan. You can read Christina's NaNo tips HERE.

I am definitely going to have a plan for next years NaNoWriMo. Okay. Promise.

Right now my NaNo project is kind of a mess. But it's a fun mess, so that's okay. I've had to make some major changes along the way, like:

-I had to give my MC Evie a huge personality overhaul because I HATED her. I hated her so much that I couldn't stand to write her, so now she's a completely different character to the one I started with. Unrecognizable, but somehow still annoying.

- Evie's best friend Emily kept trying to steal Evie's boyfriend, even though that was not part of the story at all -it had absolutely nothing to do with anything. So, I deleted said best friend. That's right, I DELETED A PERSON. She's still there in the draft, because hey, I need all the words I can get, but she's completely vanished from the story. Don't know what happened to her!

- One of my characters is based on Audrey Horne from Twin Peaks (in name and looks) and she's far more interesting to me than Evie. In fact, she's the one I really want to write about. Evie may have had a personality transplant, but she's still a little whiny for my liking. Audrey is sassy and so much more fun!

-Evie's boyfriend was not meant feature so heavily in the story -or at all really. But I can't help it. I need a romance. His name is Jack, and he's an adorable rogue type, with rusty hair and green eyes. Intense green eyes.  Or maybe blue eyes. This keeps on changing.

-My story was meant to be purely light and fluffy, but I've realized that doesn't really interest me. I keep on adding paranormal elements that don't make sense. Like, one of my characters might just be the devil - or a supernatural cult leader.

Yeah, like I said, it's really good to have a plan. This is what happens when you don't have a plan. Ha!


How is NaNoWriMo going for you?




11 comments :

  1. You may be behind, but you're doing GADS better than me! It sounds like you're having a great time fiddling with your story and characters though, figuring out what feels right, so that's awesome and a win in itself! :D Keep going, Leanna!!
    For me, I fall victim to chronic editing LOL. I know that's a horrible thing if I'm trying to going for word count, but I can't help editing as I go. I'm sure it will be my downfall this year, but as it's my first year, I'm still just glad to be writing!! Other than that, its just trying to find time to write with family, work, other deadlines, and all that STUFF :D

    Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Becky! Chronic editing was my problem last year. I deleted so many words and in the end I never caught up on them all. I have edited bits here and there this year too, so I haven't quite cut out that bad habit! My draft is a mess, though, and I reckon if I edited now I'd have less than half the word count that I have. Ha! Good luck to you too. Next year I'm going to plan for NaNo - that really seems to be the way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The funny thing is, with editing, yeah I cut a few words and sentences, but I also gain quite a few words because I change a phrase or add a detail to make the visual a bit more clear. LOL But it definitely slows me down, because I will go back and read through and edit what a wrote the day before before starting my actual writing for the day.
    Haha I love that counter on the NaNo site that says "at this rate you'll hit 50,000 words on this date"...hehe I think mine says something like January 9th, 2015 right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha, your story sounds awesome! Someone based on Audrey Horne - what's NOT to love?! And your word count is kick ass!x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Editing is the same for me - I add bits here and there but it slows the whole process down so much! I'm trying to cut down on editing time - a quick 10 minute read through before I start writing - but I can't seem to cut it out completely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha! I love Audrey Horne and I've been watching Twin Peaks again, so that's what happened there! Also, I saw the news that you finished your book. Very exciting stuff! xX

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome you're even doing this. Just enjoy it and do what you can. I'm like Becky. I have to edit as I go.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ChristinaBookAddict17 November 2014 at 13:54

    You are doing well! You'll be caught up in no time! Your changes made me laugh out loud. I would definitely read your book! :) Thanks so much for the shootout and sharing my plan. My migraine last night has set me back a bit. Hoping that I'll be able to catch up today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Migraines are the worst! When I have one it's impossible for me to get anything done. I hope you feel better now! And I swear that one year I will embark on NaNo with a plan in place!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like you are having fun with your characters even if they seem to insist on doing their own thing. The best friend getting deleted made me laugh, that showed her!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha! Sure did! I am back on track with my word count as of yesterday - so let's hope I can keep it up! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it!

If you are a book blogger and have taken the time to comment, I will make sure to come visit your blog and return the favour. :)

Please note: This blog is now an award free zone. Thanks to everyone who has awarded the blog in the past.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts with Thumbnails View My Stats