Saturday, 16 March 2013

Three Years, A Blogging Break, Google Reader and other things too!

Image Source: We Heart It.




THREE!


That's right, in just a couple of days, this blog will turn three, and I'd like to take this opportunity to everyone who stops by to read my ramblings, especially those regular readers who stop by time after time to share their thoughts on my thoughts.  Thank you all! I started this blog on a total whim, and I'm always surprised when it gets another year older, as generally I have a short-internet-attention-span! Blogging is fun, though, so here's to another year!


A Blogging Break


Okay, so I know I just said that blogging was fun (and it is!), but it also takes up a ton of time.  Unless you've been there with a blog, you probably won't realize just how much time it takes to keep a blog regularly updated -- I'm talking up to five posts a week -- many which consists of reviews that take (me) sometimes hours to write. 

So, I'm taking a break. 

I want to write (not just reviews, but an actual book) and I've often found over the last few months in particular that my blogging time has been cutting into my writing time -- that's even after I've stopped accepting most review copies! There's always so much to do where blogging is concerned, and so I've decided to take a time-out.  I've taken breaks before, but this one will be a little bit longer.  

My plan is to take the rest of March and all of April off, so you should see me back here in May. Then again, I could return sooner. Who knows if I'll be able to stay away for that long! 

I should be more organized when I return as I plan to stockpile reviews during my break and I'll also use that time to plan my Summer Spotlight feature. 

Most of all, though, I'll use that time to write. And catch up on TV shows. I also need to read certain books that I've been meaning to read for years (The Hunger Games, Before I Fall) -- basically all those books that have fallen by the wayside. As all bloggers know -- review copies generally take precedence over older books even if you don't plan it that way!


Google Reader

This week you may have heard that as of July 1st 2013 Google Reader will cease to exist. Cheers for that, Google!  I just hope they don't go and delete Blogger next as part of their 'Spring Clean.'

So. If you follow this blog (or any other blog) via that service, then you'll need to find a new way to follow. I recommend Bloglovin' -- it's sleek and simple and you can even import your Google Reader subscriptions with the click of a button: http://www.bloglovin.com/import/reader   



There are a number of other RSS services out there including Feedly, Friendfeed, Newsblur and Netvibes. You just need to find the one that suits you best. 


Disqus Comments

You might have noticed that the comments system on here has undergone something of an ugly change this week. Nothing to do with me, I swear. It's still pretty simple to use - just pretty ugly to look at, and there's nothing I can do about it. I've already complained to Disqus. Ha! And I've already tried to change the comment text by doing all sorts of crazy html stuff, but, no dice.

The main problem is that the text looks gigantic. I don't know if this bothers anyone but me, but I had to put it in there.  

I would actually go and change the commenting system, but I'm too afraid of losing every comment. Which is probably what would happen. I'm not so great at all this technical stuff.



FOUR!

So, I couldn't take off on my super long blog break without mentioning that 'Four' has finally been cast in the Divergent movie. I'm so excited for this movie, and I'm happy with this guy as Four -- even though I've never seen him act in anything.  My initial reaction was something along the lines of:  'It's not Pettyfer - thank you, thank you, thank you casting gods!'  I was pretty dismayed when my 'Fallen' casting contest resulted in an almost unanimous vote for Pettyfer as Daniel. That said, he has a good look for Daniel, but he would have been totally wrong for Four, in my opinion.

What do you think of Theo James as Four?


Divergent Movie: Theo James as Four



This Divergent movie is shaping up pretty well casting wise, it must be said!



That's all from me for now. I'll be back in May! Maybe even before that! Oh, and I'll still be around on Goodreads and probably on twitter too!





30 comments :

  1. Good for you--taking time to focus on reading what you want and writing...that's awesome! I wish you luck with your writing! I, too, plan on taking a blog hiatus for two weeks the end of March to April 8th. Sometimes it's good to just take a break for a bit. About Google Reader- I'm so annoyed! Thankfully, I was able to import my blog subscriptions to Bloglovin. Enjoy your blog break and be sure to tweet me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've just inspired me to join bloglovin because I'm dreading the time when Google Reader has gone! I'm slowly getting used to Theo as Four but I wasn't sure at first. I'm sure he'll be fine in the film though!

    Happy blogoversary! Even though I'm quite a new follower, I love your blog and you totally deserve all the success that you have. Don't worry about taking a break because I'm sure we'll all still be here when you get back! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can totally relate to the blogging taking away from writing time. I've yet to find the correct balance. So good for you taking a break. Hope you get lots of writing, reading and catching up on TV done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a great break and good luck writing the book. I totally agree with how much time blogging and writing reviews take, you never realise or appreciate it until you start yourself. And after 3 years, you deserve a break!
    I set up bloglovin on Fri and very impressed with it so far.
    Happy writing!


    BookishTrish from Between the Lines

    ReplyDelete
  5. *Wipes away tears* we are getting so old! Can't believe we are both 3 this year. I hope you enjoy your blogging break and get lots of reading and writing done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stina Lindenblatt17 March 2013 at 13:03

    Finally an actor who is perfect for a role in a YA novel I loved. I've been disappointed lately with the casting of the all in important love interest roles. Though I thought the one for Dimitri in Vampire Academy was a perfect choice.


    Every blogger I know who is also working on writing novels has dramatically reduced their number of blogging days. I don't blame you, Leanna, for doing the same. You have to do what works for you.


    Enjoy your blogging break.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow you've been blogging for three years Leanna? That is an incredible accomplishment! I will miss seeing your new blog posts, but I hope you enjoy your break! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I already follow you on Bloglovin. Have a fabulous break-see ya when you get back!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I totally understand the blogging break. It can eat up so much time and I co-blog! Hope you get a lot of writing done and catch up on your TV shows! I haven't watched TV is so long as well! I don't know that I really like Theo James as Four, but I've never seen him act. A photo does not convey the chemistry a person throws off accurately. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. v ivienne Dacosta18 March 2013 at 12:34

    I so understand where you are coming with the blogging break. I can feel one coming on myself! Good luck with the book. I am rooting for you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Completely understand the need for a blogging break - I don't know how you manage 5 posts a week (3 is my limit lol)!


    Good luck with the book :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations with the blog getting three years old. How awesome is that? Time flies when you're having fun.

    And have fun & relax a lot during your break! Every once and a while bloggers need a break! You probably get lots of inspiration! Looking forward seeing you again in May or sooner. :)

    Ps: I haven't read Divergent yet, it's on the tbr pile. I want to read asap. Probably my next read, but I love the actor! I saw him in the TV show I watched Bedlam. If you can, watch the first episode online. It's really awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Best of luck with the book and can't wait to read you again in May!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I shall miss you while you take your break but I hope you get your writing done.

    ReplyDelete
  15. congrats on three years! you are one of my fave bloggers, so i am glad you are still around :) you always have such interesting posts and i love your contemporary taste.

    i need to figure out what i am doing about google reader :/



    enjoy your break :)


    oh, and i agree, i am liking the look of Four, even though i am not the hugest fan of the books...


    x Nomes

    ReplyDelete
  16. Liz @ Planet Print24 March 2013 at 18:52

    Happy three years! And hope you enjoy your time off and manage to do the things you want - will miss you around the blogosphere but it's important to take breaks sometimes! As for Four...I can accept that. He's not how I imagined Four to be, but if he acts well, then I think maybe he can pull it off.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy 3 years! I've been writing for fun lately too and it is hard to fit in alongside blogging. Hope your break leaves you feeling refreshed!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congrats 3 year blogoversary. And yes, take a break. Everyone deserves a breather every now and then :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Glad to see that you are taking your break! It really helps to get some things done and feel a fresh energy about blogging. Also I haven't congratulated you on the big 3 yet;) Happy Birthday. You know I adore your blog x

    ReplyDelete
  20. How very typical! Just as I discover your blog you take a break! Jokes aside, it's a lovely place and I do hope you return.

    Amanda - http://detectiveherring.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. daisychainbooks20 April 2013 at 18:05

    Thanks, Lucy! Hope you're getting used to Bloglovin' - it's my fave way to follow blogs, which is good, because Google just keep on making those changes!

    ReplyDelete
  22. daisychainbooks20 April 2013 at 18:05

    I've been catching up on TV more than I've been writing - I KNEW that would happen!

    ReplyDelete
  23. daisychainbooks20 April 2013 at 18:06

    Thanks, Trish! Blogging takes up SO much time. I was hoping to stockpile some reviews during my break, but, hasn't happened yet!

    ReplyDelete
  24. daisychainbooks20 April 2013 at 18:07

    I know 3 years already - we're getting so old!

    ReplyDelete
  25. daisychainbooks20 April 2013 at 18:07

    Thanks, Viv!

    ReplyDelete
  26. daisychainbooks20 April 2013 at 18:08

    Oh, I've cut down a lot. I'm more of a three posts a week girl these days. I used to post every day, but that took up too much time!

    ReplyDelete
  27. daisychainbooks20 April 2013 at 18:08

    Oh, you should read Divergent, Nina - it's a really good read!

    ReplyDelete
  28. daisychainbooks20 April 2013 at 18:10

    Thanks, Nomes! I enjoyed the books but they're the kind of books that I can't remember a week after I finish them - I also can't remember any of the secondary characters! You should check out Bloglovin' for the reader replacement. It's easy to use which suits me fine! :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. daisychainbooks20 April 2013 at 18:11

    Thank you! x

    ReplyDelete
  30. daisychainbooks20 April 2013 at 18:11

    Thanks for finding the blog! I will return! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it!

If you are a book blogger and have taken the time to comment, I will make sure to come visit your blog and return the favour. :)

Please note: This blog is now an award free zone. Thanks to everyone who has awarded the blog in the past.

Related Posts with Thumbnails